We live in a world filled with acronyms. For those who are not familiar, an acronym is an abbreviated formed word, formed by letters of other words and pronounced as a word.
The Application Program Interface (API) world is no different when it comes to abbreviations and acronyms. We have outlined some common API acronyms below.
- API – Application Program Interface
- WIC – Web Integration Console
- SOAP and REST– types of API calls that can be made
- SOAP – Simple Object Access Protocol
- REST – Representational State Transfer
- CRUD – Create, Read, Update, Delete
- SFTP– Secure File Transfer Protocol
- AWS – Amazon Web Services
- SSS – Simple Storage Service
- VPN – Virtual Private Network
- SQL – Structured Query Language
- CSV– Comma Separated Values
- Type of file that can be used if SFTP sites are used
- JSON and XML– Formats data from API calls can be in
- XML– Extensible Markup Language
- 200, 400, 500 responses– responses that tell you if the API call was successful or not
- 200– indicates successful API call
- 400– indicates an error caused by the user
- 500– indicates an error caused by the server
- DNS– Domain Name System
- Service that enables a link between domain names and the IP addresses with which they are associated
- IP Address– Internet Protocol Address
- unique string of characters that identifies each computer communicating over a network
- SSL– Secure Socket Layer
- Uses a public key to encrypt data transferred over the connection to communicate securely with the web server
- TLS– Transport Layer Security
- Authentication and security protocol widely implemented in browsers and Web servers
- HTTP– Hypertext Transfer Protocol
- protocol for information systems that allows users to communicate data on the World Wide Web.
- HTTPS– Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure
- Adds SSL/TLS to the HTTP for added security
- DB/DBMS– Database/Database Management System
- Secure system where data is stored
- SDK– Software Development Kit
- Collection of software development tools in one installable package
- CLI– Command Line Interface
- Processes commands to a computer program in the form of lines of text
- GUI– Graphical User Interface
- Type of user interface where users interact with electronic devices using visual representations
We hope you have learned a new acronym or two from this today!
PCI offers cutting-edge solution integrations to complement and enhance your Deltek product investments. Our consultants help to identify and bridge gaps between various business systems, offering several third-party integrations into Deltek Costpoint and Deltek WorkBook. Our API capabilities include data pulls and custom-built integrations.
To learn more about API integrations, visit our LINK API Integration page.